5/15/22- Days 1and 2 in Quito, Ecuador


Greetings from the coolest condo in Quito, Equador-the 8th floor/rooftop penthouse!
More pictures are below, but I'm afraid that if I try to move them around, they will delete.

Friday the 13th lived up to it's name:
12:10 pm flight delayed until 3. 4-1/2 hour fight.
Missed my connecting flight in Miami.  Had to stand in "customer service" line at American Airlines for over an hour to get a ticket for the 8:17pm flight.
8:17 flight delayed.  Arrived in Quito at 1:30 am. 
Got a taxi driver who put his hand on my arm while he was asking me if I cook! lol
(Ecuadorians ask a million personal questions about everything from "How old are you?" to "What do I do in my spare time.")


    Since the main highway from the airport to Quito was closed off, this guy took me on grueling 1-1/2 lane switchbacks with no other car in sight;  sometimes driving completely enclosed in forest, sometimes passing men urinating on graffiti on cracked walls to police (the only police I saw) pulling over a white station wagon-ish vehicle, where there must have been 15 drunk men climbing out and sitting holding their heads, slouched over because they were so inebriated.  I thought of my sisters Jenni and Juli, and how terrified they would have been!  2 am, nothing out but people exiting houses of inebriation.  Then onward about another 20 minutes to this now one lane road switching back and forth until finally, there was a small exit, and we went up a hill...and there was the city of Quito!  Amazing.

    There, in the doorway to my condo building at 2:30 am, was a small, curly dark haired man with a smile, a greeting and a key.  He let me in the main gate then said "wait a minute" with motions.  To my greatest surprise, Jose, the owner of the condo building, greeted me, and took me up the elevator to my palace!  He is a youngish guy, I'd say around 40-45 who is a punk rock drummer and collector every form of art-eclectic.  He played the drum for me, stayed a while and talked, showed me around,  told me to call if I needed anything, then left.  I slept like a rock.

    The next morning "Pinky," my driver,  picked me up at 8:30 am, and we headed out in her purple Chevy truck for the two-hour drive to the famous Otavalo Saturday market.  I brought my Ikea bag to put things in I'd planned to purchase for my family and friends.  We filled the enormous thing 1/2 way, then I suggested we leave after an hour or two, because I was satiated!

    









This is Pinky, the driver who talked for 9 hours in the truck.
(I sent her an note on WhatsApp asking her to be less chatty.  I mean, I wasn't even getting a word in edgewise.  I know things about this woman that I don't even want to know!


Here is Jose's condo.   
Me on the AMAZING balcony/terrace.
I mean, I can see the whole city from this vantage point!




This is off the terrace at 3 a.m.

    Luckily, Pinky was glad to stop for a Diet Coke whenever I needed one, along the road.  
She also took me to the Gringo supermarket so that I would have something to eat and drink in the condo for the next few days.  (I stay here until the 18.)  I went to bed at 6:30 pm!

    Today, Sunday, we are going to "The Middle of the World," a park on the exact equator where they say you can stand an egg up longwise, and it won't fall in any direction.  I need to get some eggs.
Also, we are going North toward Mindo, where the Cloud Forests with the butterflies and hummingbirds are said to surround you in the air!

Comments

  1. Whew! You had quite the adventure. So glad you made it safely to your condo palace. You are definitely in God's hands and more adventurous than I am. Can't wait to see pictures of the Cloud Forest. Enjoy! Enjoy! Sending you an email soon.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for the comment! I only have one more day in Quito, Then I'm headed South to another town for 2 days and then into the Amazon.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

5/11/21: Packing is a big fiasco!

5/25/22: Wednesday in the Galapagos Islands