5/17: Floreana Paradise!

     I'm on a little island. How little?  120 people live here. There is one Tienda (store), which sells things to foreigners for exorbitant prices($4 for an ice cream bar), three restaurants  (poles and thatched roofs outside), a black beach (thus, the name of the house I'm staying at:  Black Beach House) and a white beach, porous, jet black lava rocks (and boulders), and three churches.  I suppose I should've used semicolons, but, eh.

    





A church.
The Charles Darwin Center on Santa Cruz Island.

Black Beach House
Where I learned to snorkle.
Our back yard.
Another church.
Today's lunch





Running into school kids.

I went out to the drinking establishment in our back yard with
Claudia from Portland, Oregon-my new housemate.
We drank something made of sugar cane and lemon,
then walked 1/2 mile down gravel roads in the dark to
go to "The Postoffice Restaurant." lol

I had swordfish, beans, rice and avacado.
It were good! 
Claudia and I sat ant talked for almost three hours, then 
flashlighted ourselves back to the house.
Claudia is a professor of political something or other.
She has written five books.
She told me the story of this island we are now on:
There were three main families who established this island, not long ago.
They lived in caves over the cliffs.
Then a Baroness sailed with her three paramours to this island.
I believe she killed the first paramour,
and one of the paramours left killed the other.
Actually, I think he killed the Baroness, who was with her  paramour, too.
Each family tells their own version of the story.
But the grandmother of the Ritter family, who was the first to settle here, 
only died like 35 years ago.
We are staying on Ritter property,
because Ingrid, who owns the house, is a direct decendent of the Ritter grandmother.

Tomorrow morning I'm getting on a bus at 6 am to see these caves.
Good night.






Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/15/22- Days 1and 2 in Quito, Ecuador

5/11/21: Packing is a big fiasco!

5/25/22: Wednesday in the Galapagos Islands