5-30-22: Snorkeling off Isabella Island



 

      The famous small Galapagos penguin!
      The rock.
      Me, getting ready to snorkle.
      The Snorkeling crew, 80% of which were in their twenties.
      My hostal, with the ocean right outside my back door. 
      It's strangely exactly 2 hours between each island, which you have to pass in a "ferry." These ferries go about as fast as the speed of light, crashing down slapping across the waves and causing the passengers to have their backs raised off the seats and pummeled back down into them.  In the past 3 days, I have had to ride 3 of these merciless ferries. Then one more, to go snorkeling.  My back feels like I need 50 massages.  It is hard to walk; it is hard to sit.  I have to be battered by one more of these ferries to get back to San Cristobal Island  this afternoon, from which I will fly out of the Galapagos tomorrow morning.  It will be a bittersweet goodbye. 

     A pile of about 13 land iguanas. 






      One of my favorite things about these islands is the multiple colors of blues, which change with each island.



      These are the famous Isabella tunnels. We snorkled for about an hour and a half, partially among these tunnels and partially deep at sea. 
There were times when the group leader had to take my hand and guide me through narrow passageways where the sharp volcanic rock was only a matter of inches from our bodies.  Around these rock formations, we came across a cave of five black tip sharks, a sea horse, a black and white stingray and about seven gigantic turtles, two of which swim up to get air and came right at me.  With my basic fin skills, I managed to get out of their route. Still, they passed within a matter of inches of me, not at all interested in me, just like the rest of them magnificent creatures.


      We came across a little cove where there were several nesting blue-footed boobies. They appear to me to be the most comical of all birds-kind of like a Dr Seuss creation.  



     A portion of our tour was walking across the uneven ups and downs of the volcanic rock for about a half hour.  I managed to slip and fall, despite the fact that I was wearing perfect water shoes.  I scanned up both of my palms and my left knee just a little but my right knee was a bloody mess-That's where the scratches, like gravel burns are down my right calf. 


So now I'm going to go get some lunch before the dreaded ferry comes to get me. 

I was able to drop my suitcase and one backpack at the tour guide office that sold me all the tickets to get here and there, while I walk around town and do God knows what for 5 hours, until my ferry comes in. 

I got to say, the people out here are not that friendly. The tourists don't speak, even if I have written about what then before they don't even say hello if they just pass me alone on the streets. This was the case on Isabella especially, but on Santa Cruz, where I am now, as well. 
The people who live here may greet me here, but not on Isabella or Floreana.  
Everything is extremely expensive here; it cost me $14 for breakfast yesterday, comprised of two eggs two pieces of toast, a cappuccino and a juice. 
Souvenir t-shirts start at 20, with most being 25 or $30. 

 As you can imagine, the mix of tourists comes from around the world, but about a third of them are European, and a third American. 

Only Americans really talk to Americans. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

5/15/22- Days 1and 2 in Quito, Ecuador

5/11/21: Packing is a big fiasco!

5/25/22: Wednesday in the Galapagos Islands